Tuesday, February 23, 2010

the "Home Office" (a.k.a. bedroom #3)

So we did some of the brainstorming while we were on a "high" from our bathroom project.  I had a pretty distinct vision of colors...but not sure they are really going to work as I had planned.  Color is such a strange thing. 

When you pick the color in the store - even under those white lights - you have one impression of them, then you bring them home and they look like a totally different color.  So I thought going with a color that had already proven out - namely, the color of the new chair-rail in the bathroom - would be a great wall color in the adjacent room we use as a home office.

But let's not get too far ahead...let's first talk about (or rather view) the "IS" of this room.



This photo is dominated by the "beeyouteeful" JC Penney rug I bought about 12 years ago.  One thing I'll say for this rug, it has worn like iron.  Other than that, I've got nothing to say. 

It is covering the desperately in need of refinishing or carpeting hardwood floor.  I'd really like to re-finish them but the cold under the floor (over garage) really screams for padding and carpeting.  The question is, will I find a carpet I actually like (color, style, depth, etc.)

And instead of the broken ceiling light/fan, I'm thinking about one of those cool fabric drum lights?  I'm trying to establish clean, crisp lines, but still remain true to the 1920's cottagey style, so I have to be sure I don't go to mod.



The room has two fabulously oversized windows...that scare me to death.  Window treatments are one of my greatest domestic challenges.  I just can't seem to understand (1) how to measure and (2) how to layer the way I want it.  But I have some thoughts on how to do it a little better this time.



This cheap bookcase is another throw-away item that we bought at huge discount, finished ourselves and expected to last about 2 years.  10 years later...it's still in great shape.  But we hope to put something long and low in this corner, get rid of many of the books, and hang Kip's guitars in a display above the low-rise shelves.


There it is.  The best closet in the house.  Cedar plank-lined and filled with C.R.A.P.  This space screams for better organization and either new doors, or maybe just greased skids and new hardware.  If I can live with what we have rather than splurge on these (that I fell in love with in an HGTV makeover room):

I save us $400+ right off the start.  But aren't those doors gorgeous?

So after we finish digging out all of the stuff in, around, above, and under our desks...


...we begin.

First - PURGE and move stuff out.
Second - Paint.

What do you think of this color for the walls? (I know, like you can tell from a photo on my blog...)

1 comment:

  1. I like the color it is neutral and it will go with almost anything. Is the chair rail a darker shade of the same color? And I love the white beadboard! Those frosted glass doors are gorgeous! And your room looks like it gets great natural light! I can't wait to see the finished room.

    And thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment about my kitchen!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Your Host

Blog Archive

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved | Revolution church Blogger Template by techknowl | Original Wordpress theme by Brian Gardner